Costa Rica is an excellent choice for families looking to go on a nature trip and it gives one first-hand experience of what Latin America entails. But if you are a young family from America, Europe or Asia it is not that easy thing to travel there and start your individual trip through the Country. If you enter an ordinary travel agency office, you can get there quite normal catalogue offers: Usually you have to decide between a relaxing Costa Rica hotel and beach holiday or a Costa Rica round trip. Unfortunately the round trip typically is prepared for a small group of people but not for the young family of today. But there are a lot of changes in the travel market: Several tour providers, e.g. the Costa Rica specialist Intakt-Reisen from Germany, are starting to configure their offers with a special focus on travel for families. You can get there round trips for group of families as well as so called “private tours” – organized tours for individual families.
Costa Rica is well prepared: It is a playground for family travel and specializes in massive adventures that will definitely get your child’s heart pumping. There is a myriad of fun experiences for every member of the family to enjoy such as peeking at a lazy sloth in a tree or zipping through a leafy canopy. Here are some of the activities you and your family can engage in while in Costa Rica guaranteed to be worth every second and every dime.
- A canopy tour of one of Costa Rica’s green rainforests from a bird’s eye view will do just the trick. There are several zip-lines that accommodate small children but few do not.
- Hot springs and volcanoes will engage the geologist in you; Las Hornillas near Volcan Miravalles or Parque Nacional Rincon de la Vieja has bubbling mud pots and the likes and you will get to see significant volcanic activity.
- Go surfing at surf schools such as One Love Surf School, Playa Grande, the Matos Surf Shop in Tamarindo, and Safari Surf in Nosara. You can also rent a boogie board at Playa Samara beach
- Wildlife watching or better yet, a wildlife cruise is a great alternative given that the boat ride itself is an adventure. Take the boat tour at the Cano Negor Wildlife Reserve while following the Ruta Los Heroes. You can also cruise the Parque Nacional Tortuguero canals and you are guaranteed of seeing something fascinating
- Go on a waterfall trail and if you are lucky you can get one with the perfect swimming hole for you to take a dip
- A river rafting experience would be the perfect way to get your adrenaline levels at an all-time high
In Costa Rica, even your accommodation can be an excellent opportunity for you to have an adventure here. The jungle lodges and beach resorts offer a unique way for you and your family to spend the night.
- Let your inner child loose at the Tree House Hotel located near San Carlos or the Tree House Lodge situated near Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
- Tents: hear the noises from the jungle and feel the cool breeze right from the comfort of your bed. Try Corcovado Adventure Tent Camp and La Leona Eco Lodge
- Stay on a farm: this gives you a chance to experience rural life in a genuine and authentic way. If there are any kids on the trip, they can learn about sustainable farming methods, observe sugar cane harvests and even learn to care for farm animals