Puri is one of the topmost holiday destinations in India. Be it for recreation or for religious purposes, Puri experiences the incoming of a large number of people every year. The coastal district is famous for the mighty Jagannath Mandir and its spiritual significance, the architecture, seascape, and its climate. Every year, the city welcomes a large number of pilgrims and hotels are booked well in advance, due to which its tourism has been always focused upon by the government. Puri is considered to be pious by the hindus, as it is one of the four sacred dhamas that represent immortality. If you are planning a family trip, Puri should definitely be at the top of the list.
But Puri isn’t all about temples, although that is what our first impression about the city is like. There are a lot of places worth visiting in Puri besides temples. Here is a list of things you can do in Puri besides visiting temples:
- Raghurajpur Artist Village: If you love art, this place is worth visiting! Pattachitra, wood carving, stone carving, saree painting, wall painting, you can find every form of art here. PattaChitras are finely drawn stories of Indian mythology, and this place is known for it. Paintings done on palm leaves, clothes, coconut shells and wood paper can also be seen here.
- Konark Beach: This place is worth a visit if you are looking for some peace after a long tiring day. It is very calming and is always less crowded than all the other beaches. The view of the sea is breathtaking!
- Chilika Wildlife sanctuary: The most interesting thing about this is that ages ago it was part of the sea and later, it got disconnected from it and became a lake. It is the largest saltwater lake in Asia. If you want to see dolphins, you should definitely visit this. Try not buying the pearls that they keep selling there though, since most of them are fake.
- Puri Light House: It is located at the end of the Golden beach. It is open for an hour every day, mostly from 4pm to 5pm, and a minimal amount of 10 INR is charged for entry. It is one of the oldest lighthouses.
- Nalabana Bird Sanctuary: This place is the home for a variety of exotic domestic and migratory birds. It takes about 1.5 hours to reach this place from Barkul. It is a must visit place for bird lovers. Just carry your binoculars and you can spot so many beautiful birds that you have never seen before! Take a boat ride and visit the small islands to spot them.
- Daring Badi: This place is hot during the day but very pleasant after sundown. There are many waterfalls here that you can see. The sunrise point is one of the main attractions here. The Nature Park, Hill-view Park, Lover’s park, magnetic valley, coffee garden, Pine forest are the main attractions.